Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Enable Mind

                                                www.enablemind.bandcamp.com
  
      You may love him,  you may hate him.. either way Brandon Wimberly is quickly on his way to what many believe success.  This 18 year old La Crosse Native is currently in the "Hip Hop Diploma" program at McNally Smith College in St. Paul, MN.  Here he gets to improve his creativity, and productivity with fellow music artists and inspirational professors such as

Toki Wright of Rhymesayers
Sean " Twinkie Jiggles" McPherson of heiruspecs
Brandon "AllDay"
"Medium Zach" of Big Quarters
Kevin Washington
Dessa of Doomtree

When did you first discover the talent you had in rapping?
     I started writing poetry, back when i was 13-14. but then when i got around to 17, my junior year in highschool, I began dabbing with garageband on my mom's computer. wrote a couple songs and shared it within my friend circle.. then, a few months later, i first performed at my school's talent show. (central)- that was my first time actually sharing my work with a large group of people. That's also the one point I remember actually thinking to myself... "i really want to do this. I really want to live this. i wanna rap. "

What is your definition of hip hop and who do you think ultimately defines it? 
     Hip hop is a culture that is used mainly by the youth as means of expressing their political beliefs, highlighting their importance in modern society as a group of people who do, indeed exist. it is defined by the artists who create it, and carry it, as well as by the people who contribute to it as listeners, and also as carriers. it's a language. it's a lifestyle. It's a means of creating one's own soundtrack to life, no matter where you're from or where you are. and everyone can take part in the culture. it's a transportation device for knowledge.

You have a very interesting life rooted in music, political dissent and activism. But please, tell us something no one knows about you.
     My favorite show is It's always Sunny In Philadelphia- and I only have %80 hearing in my left ear.

Would you like to give us a preview of what's in store for Enable Mind next?
     Currently I'm preparing my 4th album, which i've yet to name, But I'm expecting to have enough material done by early 2011- to have another release. I'm also collaborating with many various artists and musicians in the Twin Cities. I'm working with live instrumentations, and experimenting with my sounds as a producer and a rapper. A normal week in my life consists of 1) going to school, 2) going to work, ( i work at a grocery store as a clerk), 3) coming home and making music, listening to music, and writing lyrics. 4) jamming with other musicians/rappers and brainstorming song ideas. 5) performing at open mics throughout the 651 and the 612 area. Bars, Clubs, Coffee Shops, McNally (my school), and performing along with other hip hop acts in various venues, one so far being BarFly (a popular bar/club in downtown Minneapolis. 6)homework, food, and sleep. hah

Haters out there? What does Enable Mind have to say about that?
     People only hate cuz they're too "proud" of their own little business and so when they feel a little bit of jealousy, they just get aggressive
and try to tear everything you do, down, so they can feel better bout themselves at the end of the day.
     Ya just gotta open up your mind. look around at all the beautiful people around you. connect with them. understand that they, are in many ways, just like you. once we all start to do that, we will all benefit. appreciate the inspiration others have to offer you, cuz if you do, they will do the same. oh... and just be yourself! not to be cliche, but just do it. there's not enough time in this life to waste. 

No comments:

Post a Comment